JD, Loyola of Los Angeles Law School
BA, Economics University of California at Berkeley
Sonia Y. Lee is co-chair of the litigation department and a trial attorney. Prior to joining Raines Feldman LLP, Sonia was a partner with Browne Woods George LLP and an associate at Christensen Miller Fink Jacobs Glaser Weil & Shapiro LLP. Sonia’s practice focuses on complex business, intellectual property, entertainment and unfair competition litigation. Sonia has extensive experience with contract disputes, trademark, trade dress and copyright infringement claims, trade secret misappropriation, and sexual harassment matters.
Sonia has experience handling matters through trial and appeal, as well as in various arbitration forums including JAMS, the American Arbitration Association, ADR and the Independent Film and Television Alliance (formerly AFMA).
Sonia further provides advice and counsel to both employers and employees on general employment issues, including, but not limited to, non-compete and non-solicitation provisions, confidential, proprietary information and trade secret protection, gender and sex discrimination and wrongful/retaliatory discharge claims.
Sonia’s publishing credits include: Chapter 7, "Unlawful Employment Practices," as co-author, California, Business Litigation, CEB (2010); and "The Right to Counsel: In Light of Budget Cuts, Can the Orange County, Office of the Public Defender Provide Effective Assistance of Counsel?," 29Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 1895 (1996).
- Obtained a complete defense verdict after a four-week jury trial for a premier celebrity auction house in an action for breach of contract and intentional interference of contractual relations arising out of the canceled auction for property belonging to the late Michael Jackson from the Neverland Ranch.
- Obtained a $14.6 million plaintiffs’ verdict against a group of affiliated title companies for unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secrets arising out of the wholesale raid of plaintiffs' employees and customers.
- Procured injunctive and monetary relief against automobile manufacturer and distributors for unauthorized reproduction and sale of a car character from a theatrical motion picture which infringed upon plaintiffs' copyright, trade dress and trademark rights in and to the character.
- Successfully defended licensee in various IFTA arbitration proceedings for alleged breaches of subdistribution agreements governing primary and secondary rights in international territories for certain theatrical motion pictures.
- Defeated at pleading stage claims for breach of partnership agreement and non-compete agreement, misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty arising out of the formation and operation of an apparel and accessory company.
Sonia is a member of the Korean American Bar Association, American Bar Association and the Beverly Hills Bar Association.
Sonia is a member of the Board for the Good Shepherd Center for Homeless Women & Children.