Andrew H. Raines
Andrew Raines is co-managing partner of the firm, a real estate and transactional attorney with over 30 years of experience in legal practice and real estate transactions including leasing, purchase and sale, portfolio investment and sale, fair market value determinations, operating expense disputes, fund formation, asset allocation, restructurings and business development activities. Andrew’s clients regard him as a counselor and legal advisor and have sought his advice over the years concerning a full range of real estate, corporate and general business transactions.
Andrew's real estate practice includes all aspects of leasing including significant office, retail, and industrial lease transactions on behalf of national landlords and tenants. He also has extensive experience in distressed real estate transactions including note acquisition, loan document review and analysis, lease review and analysis, due diligence and foreclosure. Additional areas of concentration have involved Receiverships and REO properties, as well as fund formation and private equity transactions inclusive of entity organization through financing and private placement memoranda.
Prior to founding Raines Feldman LLP, Andrew practiced with the law firms of Lillick & McHose (acquired by Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP) and was a Partner at Advisors LLP.
Andrew has years of real world experience as an investor and licensed real estate broker and participates in numerous real estate transactions along with Pardo Properties LLC, Fifth Floor Partners LLC and others including the acquisition of strategic locations for the Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as the acquisition and disposition of strategic retail and multi-family investment properties. Andrew's focus on investments primarily targets buildings with long-term net leases, City, County, State or Federal government leases, or rent controlled multi-family properties. Andrew has also previously invested and managed leasing and investment activities for third parties including Los Angeles Realty Services, Inc. and Pacific Financial Group. He also led the investor group in the purchase and subsequent sale of a trophy landmark hotel in Miami's historic Art Deco district.
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center
A.B., Princeton University
Woodrow Wilson School, Urban Planning Honors Program
United States Supreme Court
Licensed California Real Estate Broker
- Responsible for negotiating over 6 million square feet of office, retail and industrial leases totaling more than $1.5 billion in market value on behalf of national and multi-national tenants and landlords in major metropolitan markets in the United States.
- Represented real estate activities of buyer and investor group in negotiating, structuring and closing the $250 million re-capitalization and corporate restructuring of manufacturing company through the combination of a sale-leaseback of industrial real estate properties, mezzanine financing through the purchase of Senior Subordinated Notes and a sale-leaseback of machinery and equipment.
- Negotiated and structured the purchase of a landmark hotel in the South Beach district of Miami Beach, Florida.
- Representation of national real estate funds in the acquisition and disposition of over $450 million of industrial properties throughout the United States, including the purchase and sale of notes secured by real estate.
- Representation of national retail chains and numerous restaurant companies and franchises in leasing activities throughout the US.
- Representation of trophy office properties in receivership throughout Southern California for leasing and sale transactions.
- Extensive experience with Asia-Pacific based institutional and high net worth investors throughout Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- Negotiated and structured numerous inbound direct foreign investments in US by Asia-Pacific based investors.
- Representation of significant family offices in structuring and negotiating of their asset acquisition and allocation, entity formation and due diligence activities.
- Representation of numerous private equity groups in the management and leasing of portfolio company real estate assets throughout the US.
- Representation of landlords, brokerage companies and brokers in listing agreements, commission agreements and commission disputes.
- Representation of property owners, asset management and property management companies in management agreements.
- Representation of US based international branding companies in their manufacturing, distribution and licensing activities in Europe and Asia.
- Represented a nationally recognized spa and wellness center regarding the negotiation and preparation of private placement memorandum and related private equity documents.
- Represented a globally established Italian restaurant franchise in a successful private equity offering for the master development of franchisee restaurants throughout the United States.
- Far-reaching expertise in representing Japanese consular offices in negotiations for headquarters locations for West Coast consular office.
- Broad expertise in representing Japanese-based banks and real estate companies in their business practices and investments throughout US.
A frequent lecturer and author, Andrew has been quoted and published in numerous business publications including Bloomberg, CNN Money, the Real Estate Forum, California Real Estate Journal, and Investor's Business Daily. He is a featured speaker before such organizations as the Urban Land Institute, IMN Conferences, the California REO Broker's Association and NAIOP.
Keynote Speaker at iGlobal Real Estate Investment Conference; Brokerage Compliance Training Seminars at Cresa, Travers, Pegasus, and other major local real estate brokerage companies.
- Andrew's community involvement includes support of Princeton University, The American Israel Public Affairs Committee, and various political action and community activities.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Tower Cancer Research Foundation.