DAVID E. MEAD has represented clients in a wide range of industries for more than twenty years. He regularly litigates business matters involving breach of contract, bad faith, fraud, business torts and health plan provider disputes and has obtained multimillion-dollar awards and settlements on behalf of such clients. David has also represented clients in civil rights, product liability, construction defect and employment litigation. His health care clients range from health plans to hospitals to physicians and physician groups. David has also defended hundreds of medical malpractice actions.
Significant Engagements & Transactions
- Obtained multimillion-dollar binding arbitration award on behalf of major California health plan against large hospital chain for breach of contract
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement on behalf of building products distributor against competitor in misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition action
- Represented motor scooter manufacturers in product liability cases involving injuries from rollovers and other accidents
- Represented national building products manufacturer in suit against competitor for misappropriation of trade secrets and unfair competition with multimillion-dollar settlement obtained.
- Represented swimming pool equipment manufacturers in product liability cases involving traumatic injuries from diving and sliding accidents
- Represents major California health plans in arbitrated and litigated matters involving hospital and other provider claims for payment. Disputes generally involve issues related to coverage, coordination of benefits, other payers, disallowed charges, fee schedule, medical necessity, claims timeliness, experimental/investigational, pre-existing condition, EOC exclusions, contract interpretation, misrepresentation, and rescission.
- Represented national life insurance company and captive agents in complex individual life insurance policy claim disputes. Cases are primarily situated in Federal court in California and involve various issues, including breach of contract, fraud, negligence, misrepresentation and rescission.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of local physician in multi-million dollar qui tam action alleging fraudulent Medicare billings
- Successfully litigated construction defect matter on behalf of local housing authority involving $13 million construction project with recovery of approximately $6.5 million
- Obtained defense verdict on behalf of local housing authority involving multi-million dollar breach of contract claims and obtained several million dollar verdict on cross-complaint involving false claims, breach of contract and fraud
- Successfully represented police officers, police department and local city in several actions alleging violation of civil rights, assault and battery and/or wrongful death
Publications, Recognitions & Speaking Engagements
- Hospital Claims Submitted to Health Plans: Timely Or Not, That is The Question (Health Plan & Provider, BNA, Inc., Vol. 14, No. 11)
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals; US District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Central Districts of California; US Federal Court of Claims
Memberships & Associations
- Thousand Oaks Cultural Affairs Commission (Commissioner); Goodwill Industries of Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties, Board of Directors (Chair)