Duccio Mortillaro has matured an extensive experience in national and global law firms and focuses his multi-jurisdictional practice on cross-border transactions.
He represents foreign investors (mainly Italian and from other European countries) in the United States and US interests in Europe and Latin America in all aspects of corporate law, from entity formation to shareholders’ agreements to complex mergers and acquisitions, and covers clients in a variety of industries, chiefly manufacturing, consumer goods and high technology.
Duccio’s practice is based in Los Angeles and New York and includes, in addition to M&A, joint ventures, licensing, sales, distribution (including motion picture and merchandising distribution) and consulting agreements, and representation of start-ups in venture capital financing.
He also has experience in the project finance field, having represented developers in all phases of energy and telecommunication projects, both domestic and international.
His clients range in size and scope from small, privately owned businesses to large corporations and nonprofit organizations.
Additionally, Duccio manages the US legal issues associated with the operations of several European companies doing business in the United States, acting, in effect, as their general counsel in the United States, and assists those clients in all areas of the law, ranging from corporate and transactional to litigation matters.
Duccio is a frequent speaker to a wide range of organizations and has written extensively on subject matters related to corporate and international law.
In addition to being fluent in Italian and Spanish, Duccio reads French and Portuguese.
Significant Engagements & Transactions
- Represented world leader in the home security space in the acquisition of a majority interest in a mature start up manufacturing patented home security devices and systems located in Silicon Valley;
- Represented avionics manufacturer in the investment of a minority interest in a mature start up in the avionics space, together with a joint venture for the assembly and sale of avionics components in the European market and US markets;
- Represented Italian defense contractor in the acquisition of a US manufacturer of military and civilian aircraft parts following the minority acquisition of client by a Luxembourg private equity fund;
- Represented global motor cycle manufacturer in the entry into the U.S. market after a 20-year absence, including negotiating dealer agreements nationwide; marketing and product launch; relationships with local suppliers and labor matters;
- Represented Italian premium motorcycle manufacturer in the management of the successful settlement of an alleged class action connected to claims of defective vehicle components, following NHTSA complaints;
- Represented Italian motor vehicles manufacturer in the management and successful dismissal of a false advertising class action claim connected to marketing representations of client’s products on social media platforms;
- Represented global clothing designer in the scouting for targets, acquisition, development and management of three iconic properties located in New York and London, together with the branding of one of the London property;
- Represented U.S. investor in the acquisition of development rights and management of the development of multiple refuse derived fueled power plants located in Italy;
- Represented global chemical plant engineering contractor in the investment in a mature start up with unique propylene manufacturing technology and in the successive test plant development and construction under a joint venture agreement;
- Represented research university located in Italy in the management of a multi-jurisdiction patent infringement action brought by a big-three automobile manufacturer against that university and one of the top European military contractor: the action was settled on the eve of trial in favor of the client, that could continue the research program under which the infringement was alleged to occur and all legal fees were paid by the other parties to the settlement;
- Represented researcher and inventor from an Italian research university in the management of a breach of contract and fraud action against a California startup that had converted the client’s inventions and trade secrets in the medical devices field. After three years of litigation, the client eventually forced the Chapter 11 of the defendant and was able to negotiate a new licensing agreement with a considerable premium for the client connected to the sales of his devices world-wide and an equity interest in the reorganized entity;
- Italy-America Chamber of Commerce West, Los Angeles
- Past president, 2001—2003, 2004—2005
- Duccio has served on the board as an officer for over 10 years.
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Member, Milan Order of the Bar