John S. Cha is the managing partner of the Irvine office and handles all aspects of business litigation and transactional matters. Since his admission to the California Bar in June 1987, John’s practice has involved a broad range of matters for various business entities and their owners. These include litigation and transactional work in real estate, employment, trusts & estates, commercial disputes, commercial transactions, trade secrets and covenants not to compete, unfair competition, and insurance law. John also provides employment counseling for his clients’ Human Resources managers.
John has extensive jury and bench trial experience and all forms of Alternative Dispute Resolution. He provides clients with hands-on services in an efficient and responsible manner. John represents clients in state and federal courts and at all appellate court levels. As a part of his representation of corporate clients, he evaluates internal management systems, including risk management and human resources, and advises clients on how to prevent potential legal problems.
Offering Mediation Service to the Korean Legal Community
“Korean v. Korean” lawsuits are filed on a daily basis, from business disputes to family matters. Utilizing a Korean-speaking neutral in the Alternative Dispute Resolution process provides a comfortable environment for all parties involved, which allows the parties to converse directly with the neutral and results in cost-efficiency by eliminating the need for a translator.
Finding a local and accommodating mediator can be a daunting task. John resides in Irvine and will meet at a preferred location without travel charges. We point this out because some mediators are known to charge for driving to and from a mediation site.
John hopes to contribute his experience, efficiency, and effectiveness to your current dispute resolution efforts.
Significant Engagements & Transactions
- Successfully defended a retail business owner and corporate ownership entities with over 40 outlets against a “wage & hour” claim by a manager who claimed that she was non-exempt and misclassified (2-week bench trial in Santa Maria)
- Successfully resolved multiple employment discrimination claims by hourly employees who claimed disability discrimination, sexual harassment, and wage & hour claims
- After a two-week jury trial, obtained a favorable verdict in a breach of fiduciary duty claim brought by the corporate entity against a former officer and shareholder
- Central in obtaining refinancing deals and working with lenders’ counsel for a major commercial real estate ownership group (value of refinancing deals exceeds $500-million)
- Perform role of “outside General Counsel” and oversee all legal matters, including Human Resources, multi-state litigation, and contracts, for a California-based residential property developer and ownership that has assets in multiple different states
- Involved in oversight of multi-state litigation and all aspects of the Human Resources department for a locally-based and nationally-recognized manufacturer of high-end kitchen appliances
- Successfully obtained a jury verdict in Las Vegas after a one-week trial for a California-based commercial property and business owner with assets in Las Vegas after a buy-sell deal disintegrated
- Obtained a jury verdict for a Georgia-based insurance retailer in an action for fraud and related claims after a 3-week trial
- After a 2-week jury trial, obtained a defense verdict for an Irvine-based night club/restaurant/bar/concert hall in a sexual harassment claim brought by a former waitress
- In a 5-day binding arbitration, successfully defended a salesperson and his new company in a trade secret misappropriation claim brought by the client’s former employer
- Successfully defended a commercial client in a government contract award after the losing bidder sued contending unfair competition and fraud after a 6-day bench trial
- Recognized as a “Southern California Super Lawyer” - Los Angeles Magazine, Law & Politics Media, Inc., & Super Lawyer publications.
- Board of Governors of The Bowers Museum in Santa Ana
- Museum’s General Counsel
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- Korean American Bar Association – Los Angeles and Orange County
- Los Angeles County Bar Association