Matt represents management and executives in disputes claiming breach of contract, discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and employment torts. He counsels clients in all aspects of employment and labor relations including wage and hour disputes, trade secrets, confidentiality, non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
Matt often counsels law firms and medical practices in employment matters. He is an experienced litigator who has tried or arbitrated a wide range of cases and argued numerous appeals. Matt assists his clients in developing employee handbooks, policies, employment contracts and separation agreements. He negotiates collective bargaining agreements and helps his unionized clients with contract administration.
Matt holds the highest possible rating from Martindale-Hubbell (AV® Preeminent™) and AVVO (10/10). He has repeatedly been recognized as an Illinois “Super Lawyer” in Labor & Employment and as a “Leading Lawyer” by Leading Lawyers Magazine. Matt has been elected as a Life Fellow in the American Bar Foundation (limited to 1/3 of 1% of Illinois Lawyers). He is also a fellow of the ABA College of Workers Compensation Lawyers. Matt regularly speaks at conferences and publishes books and law reviews including a chapter in the recent ABA book “Litigating Sexual Harassment & Sex Discrimination Cases.”
- Representing public sector, private sector, union and non-union employers in all Federal, State and local courts and agencies including EEOC, DOL, Chicago Commission on Human Relations, Cook County Commission on Human Relations and the Illinois Workers Compensation Commission
Publications, Recognitions and Speaking Engagements
- Co-author “Sexual Harassment and Sexual Assault Injury in the Workplace: Paths to Recovery in and Outside of Workers’ Compensation” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal
- Schiff, Matthew B., and Kathryn Nadro. Chapter 4: Responding to the Charge and the Complaint, in Sexual Harassment and Retaliation: A Practical Guide for Plaintiff and Defense. ABA Book Publishing, April 2019.
- Schiff, Matthew B., and Kathryn Nadro. Law and Employment Law Changes in the Trump Era, The Corporate Counselor: Law Journal Newsletters, Law.com. December 2017.
- Schiff, Matthew B., and Kathryn Nadro. Internal Whistleblowers. Law Journal Newsletters, Law.com. December 2017.
- Schiff, Matthew B., and Kathryn Nadro. Multiyear Public Sector Collective Bargaining Agreements following Illinois v. AFSCME, The American Bar Association Tort Trial Insurance Section – Employment Law & Litigation. Spring 2016.
- Schiff, Matthew B., Elizabeth (Lisa) Vandesteeg, and Tricia Schwallier. Private Equity Investment Funds, Beware!, The Corporate Counselor: Law Journal Newsletters, Law.com. August 2016.
- Schiff, Matthew B., and James W. Hulbert. Recent Developments in Employment Law. Legal Library, Martindale.com. April 2009.
- Schiff, Matthew B., and Linda C Kramer. Litigating the Sexual Harassment Case. 2nd ed. Chicago, Ill.: Tort and Insurance Practice Section, American Bar Association, 2000.
- Schiff, Matthew B. Survey of Illinois Law: Workers’ Compensation. Southern Illinois University Law Journal, Volume 19, 1995.
- Schiff, Matthew B, Author. Aids, and the Health Care Worker. Gonzaga Law Review. Seminar Faculty, University of Wisconsin Management Institute.Gonzaga University Law Review, Volume 29, Number. 1 1994.
- Schiff, Matthew B. A Reasonable Accommodation Under the Americans with Disabilities Acting. Gonzaga Law Review, Volume 28, Number. 2 1993.
- Schiff, Matthew B, Company-Author. The Americans with Disabilities Acting: A New Challenge for Employers. The Tort and Insurance Law Journal, Volume XXVII, Number. l. Fall, 1991.
Selected by peers as a Leading Lawyer in: Employment Law: Management (2017)
Selected for inclusion in Illinois Super Lawyers (2005, 2007-2012, 2015-2020)
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated; 5.0/5.0 Overall Client Rating – Martindale.com
AVVO 10/10 Rating
Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation (limited to 1/3 of 1% of Illinois Lawyers)
Fellow, American Bar Association College of Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
- Served as Special Assistant Attorney General representing Illinois Industrial Commission