Miles Feldman is a founding partner and co-chairs the Trials, Litigation and Dispute Resolution and Intellectual Property departments of the firm. A seasoned and dedicated trial lawyer, Miles has more than two decades of experience handling hard-fought and often high-profile cases through trial and appeal. Prior to launching Raines Feldman Littrell, Miles was a partner with two of Los Angeles’ most prominent business litigation firms.
Miles is listed as one of the Best Lawyers in the country by U.S. News and World Report. In 2018, Miles was selected as one of the Top 50 litigators in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal. From 2008 to the present, Miles has been consistently recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine / Law + Politics. Martindale-Hubbell rates Miles as “AV Preeminent,” its highest ranking for professionalism and ethics. Miles was selected to be a Fellow in the Trial Lawyer Honorary Society of the Litigation Counsel of America.
Miles’ practice focuses on complex business and intellectual property litigation. Miles has significant experience with contracts, business organizations, management liability, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, patents, rights of publicity, trade secrets, unfair competition, defamation, employment, trusts, real estate and insurance. Miles represents individuals, privately held companies, and public companies involved in the areas of entertainment, media, publishing, new media/information technology, finance, real estate, apparel and consumer products.
Miles is an innovative problem solver, strategist and above all a trial lawyer who regularly presents cases to juries, judges and arbitrators – and wins. Miles has obtained favorable jury verdicts, judgments, and orders worth in excess of a hundred million dollars.
Significant Engagements & Transactions
- Ran trial team in a three-week jury trial against a publicly traded media company over a stock sale transaction and obtained highly favorable settlement while jury was deliberating.
- Obtained a complete defense verdict victory for Julien’s Auctions (premier celebrity auction house) after a four-week jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Ran trial team in four-week jury trial on behalf of a private equity company against claims of fraud and interference with contract and obtained a complete defense victory.
- Supervised consumer product trademark litigation (including national trademark confusion survey) and co-chaired month-long jury trial concerning trademark ownership and infringement. Obtained significant jury verdict in favor of the client.
- Represented heirs of Boris Karloff in landmark litigation against Universal Studios.
- Represented co-financier of the hit film “Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery” in litigation over financial participations filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Successfully represented numerous companies, rights holders and artists in copyright infringement actions including Legendary Pictures, Uproxx Media, Frank Zappa Family Trust, Will.i.am, Rick Ross, Herbie Hancock and the Black Eyes Peas.
- Co-represented plaintiff private equity firm in a state law antitrust action for the use of secret rebates. Obtained a verdict for the plaintiff after a three-week jury trial.
- Represented private equity firm in a large-scale litigation arising out of a reverse merger of a group of limited partnerships (real estate assets) valued at $650 million.
- Defended Hong Kong based technology company in a $65 million action. Achieved a complete dismissal of all claims for his client based on challenge to jurisdiction of California courts.
- Supervised all aspects of large unfair competition/trade libel action, including obtaining TRO and preliminary injunction and defeating nine motions for summary judgment on behalf of publicly traded company.
- Represented Brighton Collectibles in multiple federal court proceedings involving trade dress and copyright claims and obtained a permanent injunction prohibiting the sale and distribution of infringing fashion accessories.
- Represented super-agent Ed Limato in dispute over employment agreement with a leading talent agency which resulted in a complete voiding of the agreement under the 7-year rule.
- Best Lawyers, U.S. News and World Report
- Top 50 Litigators in Los Angeles, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Super Lawyer, Los Angeles Magazine/Law + Politics, 2008—2019
- AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow, Trial Lawyer Honorary Society of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- Co-Chair of the Entertainment Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association
- Entertainment and Intellectual Property Section of the Los Angeles Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
Miles’ charitable endeavors have included serving as legal counsel to the Board of Directors of Rock the Vote Educational Fund, a well-known non-profit organization dedicated to increasing political participation, and as a Member of the Board of Directors of the Association of Surfing Lawyers (ASL). Miles is also active in the Surfrider Foundation and is a member of Heal the Bay.
Publications, Recognitions and Speaking Engagements
- Miles has appeared on television on the following networks as a legal expert: Bloomberg, E!, Web Pro News, and on NPR radio.
- Miles is a co-author of the Entertainment Litigation legal treatise (Oxford Press 2011 Right of Privacy chapter); co-author of the leading multi-volume legal treatise and practice guide, California Business Litigation CEB 2002, Copyrights, Rights of Publicity; co-author of Copy Caveats, Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine (May, 2010); co-author of Anti-Paparazzi Law Sports Bigger Bite, Los Angeles Daily Journal (January, 2010); co-author of Copyright Grants: as Powerful as Kryptonite? Los Angeles Daily Journal (September, 2009); co-author of License to Shill, Los Angeles Daily Journal (March, 2009); and author of Except the Inevitable: A Court Balances Trade Secret Disclosure Interests, Los Angeles Daily Journal and San Francisco Daily Journal (March, 1996).
- Miles is a frequent speaker and panelist including: Lecturer at the University of Southern California Law Center; Speaker, Digital Hollywood / Variety / Entertainment Publicists Professional Society Summit; Panelist and Speaker at the Beverly Hills Bar Association’s Annual Entertainment Law Year in Review and numerous other events; Speaker at the California State Bar Annual Conference in San Diego on Intellectual Property.
- Miles Feldman Quoted in Billboard Article on Marc Geiger Being Sued by Venue Owners
- Andrew Raines and Miles Feldman Recognized on List of Top 100 Attorneys
- Seven Raines Feldman Attorneys Named to 2023 Best Lawyers Guide
- Raines Feldman Founders Honored as Top 100 Attorneys by Los Angeles Business Journal
- Miles Feldman and Jonathan Littrell Named 2021 Legal Visionaries by Los Angeles Times B2B Publishing
- Raines Feldman Attorneys Recognized in 2022 Edition of Best Lawyers in America
- Raines Feldman LLP is proud to announce that partners Miles Feldman, Andrew Raines, and Beth Schroeder have been recognized in the 2021 edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- Founding Partner Miles J. Feldman named to the Los Angeles Business Journal’s 2020 Leaders of Influence: Litigators & Trial Lawyers