Lauren J. Katunich
Lauren J. Katunich represents employers in all areas of labor and employment matters, including trade secret misappropriation, wrongful termination, sexual harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and individual and class action wage and hour claims. Lauren also conducts employee training classes and webinars, drafts employee handbooks and other personnel forms and documentation, prepares employment-related agreements and audits wage and hour compliance. She directly advises human resources professionals and business owners on issues ranging from sexual harassment training and prevention, wage and hour compliance, and the complexities of navigating state and federal medical leave laws.
Lauren has successfully represented clients in federal and state court proceedings, including summary judgments, arbitrations, and jury trials in employment and business litigation matters.
J.D., Loyola University School of Law
B.A., Brigham Young University
United States District Court for the Central District of California
United States District Court for the Eastern District of California
United States District Court for the Northern District of California
United States District Court for the Southern District of California
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Beverly Hills Bar Association, Executive Board Committee Member, Labor & Employment
Special Olympics, Track & Field and Soccer Coach and Regional Leadership Council Board Member
Co-Chair of Gay & Lesbian Elder Housing Garden Party Event, 2012 and 2013
- Obtained complete defense verdict on claims for misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty brought against the president and general manager of a concert video production company. Six-week jury trial with testimony by over 30 witnesses. Defeated Plaintiffs seeking over $13 million at trial as well as punitive damages and included a request for punitive damages.
- Chaired and successfully defended an arbitration of a prominent plastic surgeon sued for numerous claims, including pregnancy discrimination, disability discrimination, failure to accommodate, wrongful termination, intentional infliction of emotional distress and defamation.
- Chaired and successfully obtained a complete defense verdict in a pregnancy and wrongful termination trial brought against a real estate owner and developer where the jury reached its decision in less than 30 minutes.
- Attained complete defense verdict for a well-known restaurant chain. Matter was initiated by a delivery driver and filed as a representative action under California Private Attorney General Act, which also included an individual claim for wrongful termination. Lauren defeated the representative claims and had the wrongful termination claims dismissed, and the action proceeded to arbitration as a single-plaintiff wage and hour action. The arbitrator ordered claimant to pay respondent $25,000 in fees and costs as part of the final arbitration award.
- Achieved complete defense verdict on claims for age discrimination and wrongful termination brought by the executive vice president of a high-profile travel agency.
- Attained a complete defense verdict on manager misclassification case brought by the general manager of a popular hotel flag.
- Defeated class certification in a claim for missed meal and rest breaks and numerous wage and hour violations against a retail establishment with 13 California locations.
- Gained a $1.3 million arbitration award for business development manager on a claim for unpaid commissions.
- Achieved a victorious summary judgment win for a Southern California parts manufacturer in a national origin discrimination and wrongful termination case resulting in award of costs for the employer.
- Negotiated numerous speedy and advantageous class action settlements for employers across various industries in complex, multi-location wage and hour lawsuits in which hourly workers claimed failure to pay wages and overtime.
- Brought appeal to the California Court of Appeal, and later to the California Supreme Court, achieving complete dismissal for law firm and attorney in an anti-SLAPP action. Vafi v. McCloskey (2011) 193 Cal. App. 4th 874.
Lauren’s experience has led to her selection for inclusion in Southern California Rising Stars in the area of Employment Litigation: Defense for 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, and Top Women Attorneys in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Lauren believes firmly in the principle of giving back, and devotes significant time to charitable endeavors, including, most notably, her active involvement with Special Olympics and various animal rescues throughout Los Angeles.
- Recipient of Michael W. Harahan Award for Outstanding Adult Volunteer to honor efforts as a coach for Special Olympics, Tri- Valley
- Named one of Super Lawyers’ “Top Women Lawyers in Southern California,” 2013-2016
- Order of the Coif, Cum Laude
- Ahmanson Foundation Scholarship for Academic Excellence
- Law Review: Loyola of Los Angeles Entertainment Law Review, Chief Note and Comment Editor
- Pi Sigma Alpha Honor Society
- “Time to Quit Paying the Payola Piper: Why Music Industry Abuse Demands a Complete System Overhaul,” 22 Loy. L.A. Ent. L. Rev. 643 (2002)