J.D., University of California at Berkeley's Boalt Hall School of Law
B.A., Rhetoric, Honors and Distinction
University of California at Berkeley
Miles Feldman is co-managing partner of the firm and co-chairs the firm's litigation digital media and intellectual property departments. A seasoned trial lawyer, Miles has two decades of experience handling hard fought and often high-profile cases through trial and appeal. Prior to launching Raines Feldman LLP, Miles was a partner with two of Los Angeles’ most prominent business litigation firms.
From 2008 to 2013, Miles was recognized as a “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine / Law + Politics. Martindale-Hubbell rates Miles as “AV Preeminent,” its highest ranking for professionalism and ethics.
Miles' practice focuses on complex business litigation. Miles has significant experience with contracts, business organizations, trademarks, trade dress, copyrights, patents, rights of publicity, trade secrets, unfair competition, defamation, employment, trusts, real estate and insurance. Miles represents individuals, privately held companies, and public companies involved in the areas of entertainment, media, publishing, new media/information technology, finance, real estate, apparel, fashion, and consumer products.
Miles has racked up a string of victories including handling matters through trial and on appeal as well as in numerous arbitration forums including JAMS, the American Arbitration Association, International Chamber of Commerce, the Independent Film and Television Alliance (formally AFMA) and the Writers Guild of America.
- Ran trial team in a three week jury trial against a publicly traded media company over a stock sale transaction and obtained highly favorable settlement while jury was deliberating
- Obtained a complete defense verdict victory for Julien’s Auctions (premier celebrity auction house) after a four week jury trial in Los Angeles Superior Court
- Supervised consumer product trademark litigation (including national trademark confusion survey) and co-chaired month long jury trial concerning trademark ownership and infringement. Obtained significant jury verdict in favor of the client
- Represented heirs of Boris Karloff in landmark litigation against Universal Studios. Supervised all aspects of the case, including defeating attempts to remove action to federal court and motions for summary judgment
- Represented co-financier of the hit film “Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery” in litigation over financial participations filed in Los Angeles Superior Court. Supervised all aspects of the case, and deposed New Line’s executives in Los Angeles and New York
- Represented Will Smith in copyright infringement action over use of a music sample. Supervised all aspects of the federal court case, including prosecution of cross-claims against record label that had licensed the sample. Achieved complete dismissal of all claims against Mr. Smith
- Co-represented plaintiff private equity firm in a state law antitrust action for the use of secret rebates. Obtained a verdict for the plaintiff after a three week jury trial
- Represented private equity firm in a large scale litigation arising out of a reverse merger of a group of limited partnerships (real estate assets) valued at $650 million. Argued before the California Court of Appeal
- Defended Hong Kong based technology company in a $65 million action. Achieved a complete dismissal of all claims for his client based on challenge to jurisdiction of California courts
- Supervised all aspects of large unfair competition/trade libel action, including obtaining TRO and preliminary injunction and defeating nine motions for summary judgment on behalf of publicly traded company
- Represented a major television writer and producer in arbitration over commissions to literary agency
- Represented musician Herbie Hancock in copyright infringement action against well-known retailer for unauthorized use of Mr. Hancock’s musical composition in television advertisements
- Represented Brighton Collectibles in multiple federal court proceedings involving trade dress and copyright claims and obtained a permanent injunction prohibiting the sale and distribution of infringing fashion accessories
- Represented super-agent Ed Limato in dispute over employment agreement with a leading talent agency which resulted in a complete voiding of the agreement under the 7-year rule
Miles has appeared on E!, Bloomberg, Web Pro News, Aljazeera and NPR.
In addition to contributing to the Huffington Post as a columnist, Miles' publishing credits include: co-author of the "Entertainment Litigation" legal treatise (Oxford Press 2011 Right of Privacy chapter); co-author of the leading multi-volume legal treatise and practice guide, "California Business Litigation" (CEB 2002), authoring chapters on Copyrights and Rights of Publicity; co-author of updates to the legal treatise Competitive Business Practices (C.E.B. 2d. Ed.), including the Copyrights, Trademarks, Antitrust and Trade Secrets chapters; co-author of Copy Caveats, Los Angeles Lawyer Magazine (May 2010); co-author of Anti-Paparazzi Law Sports Bigger Bite, Los Angeles Daily Journal (January, 2010); co-author of Copyright Grants: as Powerful as Kryptonite? Los Angeles Daily Journal (September, 2009); co-author of License to Shill, Los Angeles Daily Journal (March, 2009); Except the Inevitable: A Court Balances Trade Secret Disclosure Interests, Los Angeles Daily Journal and San Francisco Daily Journal, March 1996.
Miles is a frequent speaker and panelist including: Lecturer at the University of Southern California Law Center (Summer 2010); Speaker on content rights, Digital Hollywood / Variety / Entertainment Publicists Professional Society Summit (May 2010); Panelist and Speaker at the Beverly Hills Bar Associations Annual Entertainment Law Year in Review event at the Beverly Hills Hotel (January 2007-2009); Speaker at the California State Bar Annual Conference in San Diego on Intellectual Property (September 2005); organizer and moderator for a program on contract litigation (October 2005).
State Bar of California
From 2007-2009 Miles served as a Co-Chair of the Entertainment Section of the Beverly Hills Bar Association. Miles is currently a member of the Entertainment and Intellectual Property Section of the Los Angeles Bar Association and of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers.