Steven T. Gebelin
Steven Gebelin is an experienced trial attorney and litigator, taking cases to judgment in jury trials, bench trials, and through dispositive motions in state and federal courts.
Steven’s practice focuses on intellectual property, data security, and technology business litigation. He has significant experience with copyright, trademark, and patents, defamation, trade libel, digital privacy, trade secrets, unfair competition, entertainment, breach of fiduciary duties, breach of contract, partnership and other intra-business disputes, product liability, and anti-SLAPP law. Steven has handled cases in federal and state courts in California, Illinois, Nevada, New York, and Washington, and in other forums such as the United States International Trade Commission and JAMS Arbitration. Steven has also handled appellate matters embracing technology and intellectual property in state and federal courts in California.
Before joining Raines Feldman LLP, Steven was an attorney at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP and then at a prominent boutique civil litigation firm in Century City.
J.D., New York University School of Law
B.S., University of California, Riverside
Environmental Engineering; magna cum laude
Central District of California
Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Achieved jury trial verdict for more than $2.3 million in compensatory and statutory damages following a two week trial on behalf of ousted partner in iPad tablet accessories business.
- Achieved six figure jury trial verdict for victim of defamatory emails sent to his workplace by defendant using a pseudonym.
- Quickly brought and resolved suit over online trademark infringement of education equipment manufacturer’s mark on the Apple App Store, resulting in cessation of use and payment to client by infringer.
- Represented manufacturer in dispute with software services supplier, leading to favorable settlement.
- Unmasked anonymous internet commenters defaming clients, leading to removal of harmful content.
- Obtained dismissal of copyright infringement claims against world famous rock band regarding their use of an album cover photo.
- Turned around trade secret defense, preventing scheduled contempt trial and bringing counterclaims for breach of partnership.
- Quashed subpoenas seeking to unmask anonymous internet commenters discussing stock performance in online message boards.
- Successfully dismissed cases under California’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Defended international manufacturer against product liability claims.
- Represented internet search engine in defense of copyright infringement claims under the DMCA.
- Represented manufacturer of optoelectronic components against patent infringement claims in trial before the International Trade Commission.
- Represented independent inventor of patent for B2B relational databases.
- Represented a group of social networking websites against software patent infringement claims.
- Defended retailer against claims of software trade secret theft.
Intellectual Property Law Section of The State Bar of California
Los Angeles County Bar Association